Personal principles that have centered my life:
Not to waste
Be honest
To be patient
Five pillars.
(Fasting,donating,hajj,prayer,belief in one God)
All living things have rights
Respect elders
-Most of these
principles were taught to me from a young age whether it was school or parents.
To be honest some of these principles were ignored or changed through personal
experiences. For example patience. Forget it.
-Growing up I was
told to respect elders and I did that for the longest until I Realized that at
certain instances we need to throw age right out the window. It doesn't matter
what age you are if what you say does not make sense or is ethically incorrect
I will respectfully correct you until the person decides to create an invalid
argument. What occurs after that is censored.
-For the most part
no principles were developed on my own but to put it in better terms they were
tweaked.
-The readings and
discussions have made me question some of my principles but what I believe in
is what makes sense to me and it becomes very difficult to change that.
-The principle that
stuck on was to find truth and reconstruct from yourself. You shouldn't always
put yourself first. Yes it's the human thing to do because humans are indeed
selfish and we grow up being bias but if we can just consider the action of
reconstruction of ones self then truth will eventually unveil itself.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
I also grew up with many of the same values that you had specifically being respectful to your elders. I completely understand the frustration of this principle. In many case I agree that elders are indeed wise but I also feel that just because they have been on this planet longer doesn't make them the "all knowing" .I think it is great that you have been able to adjust your principles as you grow older with life experiences that have taught you lessons of what is the truth and not your elder's truth. The other codes of conduct that you adhere to are also vital "patients is indeed a virtue" a virtue that will allow you to continue to make wise decisions.
Sarah-
ReplyDeleteOne of your principles really caught my attention more than anyone else's: "Not to waste." I realized I too adhere to this principle. Being an environmentalist, we strive to conserve the earth. During my daily life I make sure not to waste food, water, electricity, etc. I'm really big on not wasting water. I'm curious as to what you mean by "not to waste." Do you not waste the same or do you not waste time?
Thanks for sharing.
Both! Time is a big deal in my household and I grew up taught not to waste anything from food, objects, and time.
ReplyDelete